Saturday, January 22, 2011

'Tangled' in the cake

Disney's Rapunzel never had this problem!
 When we are not eating cake for breakfast, our typical diet is relatively healthy, so once that grocery legal white sugar drug arrives in the house, we lose our heads a little (and a few hairs).  Clearly, kitchen safety needs to become more of a priority while baking with my children.  So, here's a review for me to refer to before the next cake-tastrophe.  The kitchen experts at Kraft's number one rule, of course, being:


  • Before you begin roll up long sleeves, tie back long hair and remove loose clothing that might get in the way or catch on something.



  • Closely followed by number two...


  • Wash your hands and dry them well, wet hands can be slippery.



  • ...which we should have known to translate as:  ALWAYS buy extra eggs!


  • If you can't quite reach the countertop, use a sturdy stool or wooden step to help.



  • I know 'sturdy' is the operative word here, but I would like to emphasize 'stool' and not Great-Grandma's long wooden plank bench with which the kids like to slide one end over and bridge the kitchen counter to the dining table.  No amount of clever efficiency is worth a head injury!


  • Keep cabinet doors and drawers closed so you won't bump into them.



  • We really need to post this reminder on the floor so I don't get another goose egg.


  • Wipe up spills as soon as they happen, wet spots can be slippery.



  • Gee.  Wet spots can be slippery?  Thanks for the news.  Grateful as I am for this informative direction, I should quit for now since I was trying to follow this rule in the first place!

    While I was occupied wiping egg varnish off the bench, floor and out from between my toes, Tia volunteered to take a turn with my new hand mixer.  My $14.99 bargain works great except that the low setting just seems to mean 'quieter' and not a slower speed.  So the drama all played out silently as she became mesmerized by the creamy batter and leaned in to take a closer look.  Distracted by painful contact with my cabinet door, I didn't realize how completely and suddenly she got caught up in her cake theme, until I no longer heard the whirring of the beaters.  My heart went out to my poor daughter, who was genuinely scared, minimally hurt, and painfully tortured by her mother's uncontrollable laughter.  What a brave heart to give me a smile as I rallied the paparazzi with a promise to her that "It will be funny later, sweetie!"
    
    No, she didn't lose her hair, it is safely braided behind her!
    Jacobi

    1 comment:

    1. Ha Ha Ha - You have a great sense of humor! I'm looking forward to keeping up with all your cake adventures!
      Krissy (Robin's sis)

      ReplyDelete