Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Go Seahawks! Go Walmart!

I have to thank Robin for turning my heart over to the sweet side.  I am posting first because I made the first cake of the year, but really, she has been making Amazing Cakes for her equally amazing children for their birthdays every year.  It was the love going into her creative tradition that touched me and sparked some life into my grey January.  Swept into the world of cake decorating, with no experience, I had the ultimate inspiration from an earthshaking game.

Uncle Jimmy's Seahawks Jersey Birthday Cake
What the pretty picture doesn't tell you is all about the behind-the-scenes action.  I don't think even watching 3 seasons of Cake Boss prepared me for the potential for disaster involved with every sugary step nor the next day's blue toddler poo.  Maybe if I had taken some Wilton classes, or at least read Robin's cake decorating books, I would have hired a crew of professionals or stuck with pancakes.  But instead, I had my enthusiastic children, who had drooled with me over online cake ideas for days, encouraging me towards my vision.  Somehow, my dream forgot to include the trip to Walmart for supplies.

Have you ever taken a child into Walmart?  How about 9?  Robin came along to help me with my first foray into cake world.  At least we were smart enough to leave some home....wait....we left the babysitters home and brought all the babies.  Not so smart after all.  But after threats of no cake and promises of video games, they all behaved quite nicely.  "Mommy, did you want to buy all these styrofoam globes?"   "No, dear, but leave them in the cart."  "But, Mommy, does Garett get to keep all those toys?"  "Of course not, honey, but shhhhh he doesn't know that."  "Hey, Mommy, I thought you didn't like toy guns and did we pay for that candy bar he's eating!?"  "Whatever it takes, sweetie, now go look at those cute little office supplies so I can find the gumpaste."

Cobi

No comments:

Post a Comment