Friday, February 18, 2011

I nailed it!!

 Their faces say it all!  My nephews were completely thrilled with their How to Train Your Dragon cakes.  No amount of failure in the kitchen seems to diminish the joy a cake creation can bring, but I was unable to fully relax and enjoy the completion of these cakes until a couple of days had gone by with no emergency room visits.  What, a story?  You knew there would be!  It all began with an innocent google search.
  
I think Robin will agree with me that we wouldn't be able to do what we do without alot of help from the internet.  From the thousands of Google image searches to the wonderful advice from professionals at Cake Central and other hobby blogs, there seems to be unlimited resources for anyone with cake ambitions.  I tend to be pretty trusting so it didn't occur to me that anything could go wrong with a little tip I discovered late one night.  Someone suggested to stand a nail up in the center of the cake and it would magically keep the cake flat with no dome to slice off.  For good measure, I put in five nails... 

The trick worked like a charm, but I forgot about the nails which, by the time I remembered them, had sunk and been baked into the bottom of the cake.  I could only find three, though I did manage to locate five empty indentations where the nails had been.  The cakes were served to the children and guests with warnings as I was hopeful, but not entirely convinced the cakes were safe.  So far, no reports of perforated bowels, so ummm...all's well that ends well, right?  Hey, don't look at me like that...I learned my lesson!  Go ahead and look at those happy faces again!

Jacobi 

No comments:

Post a Comment